The curriculum builds an essential knowledge base for professionals who deliver spiritual care, in a hospice context, in order to improve the quality of care delivered to patients and families and meet accreditation requirements for expertise in the area. The course is a fully online, text based program, delivered in a continuously available and easily accessible format that allows chaplains greater flexibility in balancing work responsibilities with furthering their education.
The program is comprised of the following individual modules developed by an expert in Hospice care chaplaincy. The program will be taught by Hospice chaplaincy faculty.
Each of the course modules provided includes multiple learning objectives, rich content on the week’s topic and learning activities that allow the learner to apply the new knowledge. The following are selected, representative learning objectives.
At the conclusion of the Hospice Chaplaincy Certificate program, students will be able to:
- Articulate and integrate current evidence for the provision of spiritual care in a hospice setting.
- Provide patient-centered, family-focused spiritual care that understands and respects diversity in all its dimensions.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of ethical and legal issues in hospice care.
- Incorporate awareness of, and respect for, professional boundaries when providing spiritual care.
- Incorporate family systems theory in the practice of hospice care on a team, patient/family, and institutional level.
- Articulate important spiritual, existential and emotional concepts for patients and families in palliative care, including faith, hope, forgiveness, meaninglessness and remorse.
- Identify how psychology and social meaning overlap in spirituality research.
1) History and Philosophy of Hospice care:
2) Spiritual, Existential and Emotional Issues:
3) Awareness of death, Family Systems and dynamics
4) Ethics and Common Hospice Care Issues:
5) Social and Cultural Influences on Hospice care:
6) Dealing with grief.
7) Self-care in Hospice chaplaincy.
8) Counseling theories in Hospice care.
Tuition: $ 600