Humans are naturally social. Yet, the way of life in many countries like the United States is greatly reducing the quantity and quality of social relationships. Over the past two decades there has been a three-fold increase in the number of Americans who say they have no close confidants. In the UK, according to a recent survey by the Mental Health Foundation, 10% of people often feel lonely, a third have a close friend or relative who they think is very lonely, and half think that people are getting lonelier in general. There is reason to believe that people are becoming more socially isolated.
- Susan Pinker TED Talk
- Face-to-face communication matters
- Book: The Village Effect by Susan Pinker
- Humans are social beings
- When we feel connected with others, we feel better
- Robert Waldinger & the Harvard Study of Adult Development TED Talk
- Quality relationships are key
- Practice compassion
- Social media and connectedness
- Social relationships are so much more than just hearing people’s voices.
- The best way to direct your energy towards a meaningful life is through compassion, love, laughter, and friendship. Can you get that through social media?
- Be compassionate and kind.
Leave a Reply